April 13, 2013 in Lymphoma by adminrcr

This started a few weeks ago. Jeff was doing well swimming laps, getting fit. Then he had little energy, generally not feeling well, some upset stomach. He walked into the lab area at the office and Shelly said he looked anemic. He was sent for lab work and Dr. Suri took some history and did a brief exam. When his hemoglobin came back at 8.6, Dr. Suri got him in to see Dr. Sadiq. Dr. Sadiq did an EGD and colonoscopy the next day, 3/29/13. He found some bleeding ulcers in the duodenum, which were cauterized, and a couple diverticula in the colon. He was sent home and told to take Protonix and iron supplements. Saturday and Sunday following the procedure he felt some better, but by Monday he wanted pain medication. When Dr. Sadiq’s office said he shouldn’t be having pain, now three days from the procedure, we figured something else was going on. He continued taking the Protonix and iron and by Wednesday afternoon he was starting to feel better, but then not so good on Thursday and Friday. He changed what he was eating and stopped the iron and that seemed to help by Saturday. Sunday again was not a good day and Monday, 4/8/13 he did not look much better. On Tuesday he had repeat lab work, this time showing a hemoglobin of 8.1, so we saw Dr. Sadiq again. He recommended iron infusions and a CT scan of the abdomen. He had the first iron infusion Wednesday and a second Thursday; had the CT scan on Friday, 4/12/13.

During the CT scan, the tech stopped the procedure and asked Jeff for more history. She said “I know you’re in pain and we’ll get this done quickly.” She said she needed to call the radiologist, who then said they needed to call Dr. Sadiq and we were advised not to leave. They gave us a copy of the CT on a disk and, being the impatient people we are, we took the disk to one of our nearby offices and asked one of the doctors to look at it. Dr. Gleason said Jeff would be admitted. Period.

Flowers from TPCCC family

Flowers from TPCCC family

So he was admitted and a surgeon (Dr. Birbari), gastroenterologist (Dr. Sadiq, already on the case) and oncologist (Dr. Oommen) were consulted. We were told the possibilities, none of them really good, but lymphoma being the better of the options. Jeff was sent for a CT-guided biopsy so we can find out for sure what we’re dealing with. The pathologist took a look at the specimen, to make sure the sample was adequate, and gave a preliminary opinion of lymphoma. Dr. Oommen says lymphoma is treatable at any stage, usually with chemotherapy. He did say the location is tricky, though. Need to make sure it doesn’t start bleeding. Now we wait until Monday to get the final results.

In the meantime, Jeff is staying in the hospital so his pain can be managed, they can get regular lab work, give him blood and fluids, and generally poke and annoy him 🙂

Visitors today: Ginny Gromacki, Denise Boyd, Dr. Sadiq, Dr. Gleason, Dr. Oommen

This blog does not do the story justice. You really need to hear Jeff tell it… with all his flair.