So much has happened…(part 1)

October 27, 2013 in Lymphoma by Reta Reed

We had our two-day stay in Houston on the 7th and 8th. NOTHING moves quickly there! He needed three units of blood on the 7th but it took 6 hours just for the type and screen and another six hours for the transfusion. We got to the hotel at about 1 a.m. on the 8th. Back to MDA for another biopsy, chemo, and my CVC dressing change demonstration so we could get supplies to take home. Well they didn’t repeat the CBC after the blood transfusion so when we showed up for chemo, they had to first get the CBC to make sure his hemoglobin was high enough to start the chemo. That delayed things yet again. We didn’t get out of there until after midnight so we were home by about 5 a.m. I got up at 6:30 to get the kids up and to school, then came home and went back to bed.

Jeff had a rough rest of the week with vomiting and zero energy. MDA had us scheduled to return on the 14th for lab work and a nurse visit but we arranged for that to be done in our local oncologist’s office. His hemoglobin on the 14th was 9.8 but his bowels were pretty backed up, so he was having some discomfort. By Tuesday evening he was barely able to get up to the bathroom. He refused my several offers to take him to the emergency room, so we contacted Dr. Oommen first thing Wednesday and he worked us in. Just getting Jeff to the car was a feat. He had zero energy and had to crawl to the car. It took about 20 minutes just to get from the couch to the garage. I had just wheeled him into the lobby when he passed out and slid out of the wheelchair. Scared the sh*t out of me!! We got him up to the lab and they put him in a room where they immediately started fluids and drew blood. His hemoglobin was down to 5.5 or so, so he was admitted for blood. He received another three units of blood, and tested stool for blood. The stool was negative for blood, but he had an EGD to see if he had an upper GI bleed somewhere. The EGD was also negative. So the GI doc scheduled a CT scan. I wouldn’t think you could see bleeding on a CT scan, but who am I? We didn’t hear back on the results of the scan, but Jeff was feeling better and itching to go home. His hemoglobin was sufficient that he could be discharged, so he was sent home last Friday.

Jeff had a bit more energy and was feeling better. He was eating everything in the house. I think he was a bit anxious about returning to MDA on the 21st to start the second round of chemo.